The body is a sacred garment. - Martha Graham, Choreographer
Low Intensity Laser Therapy:
Low Intensity Laser Therapy (LILT) utilizes superluminous and laser diodes to irradiate tissue with photons; these particles of energy are absorbed by a variety of molecules resulting in the conversion of light into biochemical energy. Multiple positive physiological responses are thereby initiated and normal cell morphology and function are restored. This process is curative and eliminates symptoms (i.e. pain, edema etc.)
The Physiological effects of LILT include an increase in:
- DNA Synthesis
- The protein building block essential to the process of cell regeneration
- Collagen production
- Increases tensile strength of muscles, tendons and ligaments
- ATP (adenosine triphosphate)
- The fuel of the cell required in facilitating cell metabolism
- Morphine like substances produced by the body to reduce the sensation of pain
- Modulation of cellular components involved in the healing process
- i.e. macrophages, fibroblasts, lymphocytes etc.
- Stimulation of:
- Immune response
- Lymphatic drainage (reduction in edema)
- Angiogenesis – formation of new capillaries and arterioles resulting in improved circulation/tissue oxygenation
- Cortisol production
- Enabling the body to combat the stress associated with trauma or disease process
How long does a treatment take?
Treatments are typically thirty minutes to one hour in duration depending on the condition being treated.
How many treatments are required?
The number of treatments will depend on the chronicity and the extent of the pathology involved. Based on the genetic makeup of the cells, an individual’s response to LILT will vary to some degree. According to a recent clinical review, the average number of treatments is 9.4.
Are there any side effects?
Unlike most pharmaceutical solutions and other therapeutic options, laser therapy is non-toxic, non-invasive and in over one million individual treatments, no significant adverse effects have been noted.
Want to find out more about how Laser Therapy can help you? Contact our office today.
LILT is the treatment of choice for:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Repetetive stress syndrome
- Ligament and tendon tears
- Fractures with associated soft tissue injuries
- Bulging and herniated discs
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Calcifications (eg. bone spurs)
- Spinal stenosis
- Peripheral nerve damage (trauma, etc.)
And much, much more.
Schedule an assessment to find out how Laser Therapy can help you.